Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Back to Jipe Moyo!

On Tuesday I went back to Jipe Moyo, the women's group that I worked with last year. There have been so many changes! I was the first volunteer there and they have come so far. As some of you might remember, when I left last year they were beginning to build a cell phone tower in the front yard of Mama Zenebu where I taught. It was weird to see a giant tower, surrounded by concrete and four armed gaurds, standing where I had taught last year. And this is right in the middle of the village!

Because of the work of past CCS volunteers, the women now have a building in which they meet. They rent a room right next to where Mama Zenebu's house. It is small and concrete, but atleast it is a meeting space. They have regular fundraising projects and are actually beginning to make an income. They use the money for both education and to help fund the women when they are taken ill, as most of them are HIV positive. CCS has had a bit of a problem with people giving donations to the women, which is in most cases more trouble than its worth. This time, however, the women seem keen to learn how to 'save' and 'budget', two concepts as foreign to americans as 'squatty potty' and 'chickens in the house'.

It was great to be back with the women, who immediately recognized me and were so happy to see me again. Mama Bruno, the chairwoman, offered to let me stay in her house with her so that she could teach me swahili and stay forever. I have to admit I was tempted, even if it meant sharing a one room bedroom with five kids, ducks, chickens, and a goat. I presented them with a computer that another past CCS volunteer had been given through a grant program in the states. They were really appreciative, although they have not the foggiest idea how to run the thing.

I was so proud of them and it is great to see what can be accomplished in 10 months. I just wish I would have been there to see the transition. It will be great to check back in with them during my next trips here.

No comments: